Sunday, May 27, 2007
Over kill Corset
I now have a set of 18th century stays. I used J.P. Ryan's pattern which works well. Sarah is now working on a set as well as a dress.
The stays are fully boned, every channel you see has a bone in it and all of them are metal of one sort or another. I used two widths of flat metal boning plus one type of spiral boing which mostly went in the sides. This is rather overkill but hey and I intend to convince certain refs it is armour. Considering I'd happly take a blow from a real sword across it I think that is fair.
I have also made a small bumroll and a matching skirt. This is all for my Maelstrom character Oriel. I/she is a Taylor for the nobility of Millen but I am looking to stress that i am aservant and she plans to blend into the background a bit this coming event, hence the monchrome look.
It worked quite well though there are things i could do better like the visible locking off stiches I should have finished the thread ends off by hand. I am making some detachable straps as well as I think I may feel i keep needing to pull them up fractionally. I think for now I will be wearing the outfit with a black jacket i already have and was bought off the high street a while back. Longer term i plan to make a black wool riding coat, probably with plates in the shoulders and possibly part of the skirts..(to add to the armour theme and to up the amount of armour I am wearing) Still need to hem the skirt .